Credit/Debit/ATM Cards Safety
Awareness prevention and rapid response are the keys to keeping your ATM, Debit and Credit cards safe from fraud.
Verified by Visa and MasterCard Secure Code provide a way to prevent unauthorized use of your credit card or debit card on the Internet using a password you choose, giving you more confidence about making secure purchases online. Following are some tips for making your F&M Bank credit card and Visa Money (debit) card transactions as secure as possible.
- Sign immediately. Put your name in the signature panel on your credit cards and debit cards as soon as you receive them. A lost unsigned card just makes it easier for someone to forge your name.
- Memorize your PIN. Never carry your PIN (Personal Identification Number) on your person. Memorize it, or keep the number in a safe place at home, in a separate location from related cards.
- Wait for your card receipt. Never leave your card receipts at the checkout counter. Always take your charge slips with you and check the amount being charged. Save your receipts until you have verified your statement.
- Get your card back. Be sure your credit or debit card is returned following any purchase(s) you make, and that it is indeed your credit or debit card that was returned.
- Check your statements every month. Verify all your transactions to your receipts. Report any unauthorized transactions immediately.
- Keep your card out of sight. Never leave your purse or wallet unattended and always keep your cards out of plain sight.
- Never lend your card. Your cards are your responsibility, so don't give your cards to others. Periodically check to make sure you have all your cards.
- Photocopy the front and back of your cards. Keep a list of the card issuers contact telephone numbers to call along with your photocopies in a safe place, away from any related PIN numbers.
- Be cautious when giving out your card number over the phone. Never provide account information to anyone who called you.
Using ATMs Safely
Treat your ATM card like cash. Always protect your card by keeping it in a safe place. If your card is lost or stolen, contact us immediately at 1-800-888-1498
- Protect your privacy. Shield the ATM keypad with your hand or body while entering your PIN. Do not leave your receipt at the ATM. Keep your receipt in a safe place, so you can compare it to your later statements.
- Be aware of strangers. When you enter or exit an ATM in an enclosed area, be sure you close the entry door completely. Do not open locked ATM vestibule doors for others, or allow any unknown persons to enter the ATM area while you are making your transaction. Authorized customers should have their own access.
- Put away your card and cash. After completing your transaction, secure your card and cash immediately, before exiting the ATM area. Count your cash later, in the safety of your locked car or home.
- Be cautious at drive-up ATMs. If you use a drive-up ATM, be sure your passenger windows are rolled up and your doors are locked.
- Be careful at night. Be aware of your surroundings, especially after dark. If you must use an ATM at night, consider taking someone with you.
- Stay alert. If you notice anything suspicious or that you deem unsafe, such as the lighting around the ATM not working, use another ATM or return later.
- Report suspicious behavior. Report all crimes immediately to law enforcement officials and your local banking centers.
- Use ATMs with surveillance cameras. F&M Bank ATMs may be monitored by surveillance cameras, which record activity in the area of the ATM.
If you need emergency assistance, call 911 from the nearest telephone. If you have a complaint about the security of an F&M Bank ATM, call the bank at 1-800-888-1498.